A quick overview of HubSpot Marketing Hub
HubSpot’s Marketing Hub boasts more than 150,000 customers in over 120 countries, from small businesses to enterprise organizations like Loom, Monday, Reddit, Wistia, and Zapier. Although Marketing Hub seamlessly integrates with other HubSpot products, it also covers a lot of ground on its own. The core platform offers:
- Email marketing
- Omni-channel campaign management
- CMS for blogs and web pages
- Ad tracking, re-targeting, and management
- Landing pages and forms
- Analytics and custom reporting
- Live chat and conversational bots
Quick note: Marketing Hub offers a free plan, but you’ll need to upgrade in order to access any automation features—like form responses, email nurturing, workflows, or dynamic content. When billed annually, HubSpot Marketing Hub’s pricing is:
- Starter plan: $45 per month
- Professional plan: $800 per month
- Enterprise plan: $3,200 per month
What we like about HubSpot
HubSpot Marketing Hub’s visual automation builder makes it easy for users to design automated workflows and processes, like sending emails, prompting notifications, and routing qualified leads to sales. The intuitive, user-friendly interface scored high marks on G2. Marketing Hub also earned rave reviews for its extensive email marketing functionality, including:
- A drag-and-drop email builder
- Customizable templates
- A/B split testing
- Advanced list segmentation
- Email analytics
HubSpot Marketing Hub’s integrations are another advantage, especially when it comes to other HubSpot products. Designed to function both independently and also as part of a cohesive marketing and sales mega-platform, Marketing Hub is easy to use if you're already familiar with HubSpot’s CRM, as well as Sales Hub and Service Hub.
Marketing Hub also plays nicely with third-party integrations, so you can mix and match with other tools in your tech stack—like Salesforce, Google, WordPress, and Zapier. According to one customer review, “HubSpot has become something of a nerve center for our marketing.”
HubSpot Marketing Hub Challenges
HubSpot Marketing Hub’s pricing structure is arguably the biggest source of contention among its users. Although the platform itself has extensive capabilities, it’s impossible to access more advanced marketing automation features without steep plan upgrades. As one customer put it:
“You have no choice but to buy their entire product suite, which includes both volume and per-seat pricing. Features that came with Marketing Hub last year or even a few months ago, now require a separate license to buy. Given that this is a high dollar, negotiated price product, it is a huge time waster to constantly hit a wall that requires a new sales process to get past.”
— IT Administrator, Mid-Market
Some users report feeling burdened by HubSpot Marketing Hub, especially on smaller or B2C teams who don’t require that same degree of B2B functionality. According to one customer review:
“HubSpot is great if you have a marketing person who can manage it for you. It is incredibly easy to use. However, if you are a small business, it is too big and unnecessary for what you need.”
So, what about the alternatives? Let’s take a look.
ActiveCampaign has positioned itself as a full-fledged “customer experience automation” platform, spanning email, marketing automation, sales automation, and a CRM. In addition to a wide range of features, ActiveCampaign offers over 500 pre-built automations to more than 180,000 customers. It can also easily integrate with Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, and Magento, making it a solid choice for eCommerce brands.
- Personalized emails: Deploy dynamic, automated email content based on site visits, purchases, or new CRM entries.
- Single-view automation map: View all your automations in one place, including status, connections, and high-level reports. You can also create or update automations on the same screen.
- Funnel tracking: Assign contacts to the appropriate funnel stage depending on engagement and behavior. You can also notify your sales team when contacts haven’t moved to the next stage of the funnel.
ActiveCampaign integrates with over 870+ different apps, including:
- Google analytics
ActiveCampaign has a wide range of pricing options, starting from $29 per month for 1,000 contacts to $549 for 25,000 contacts, plus custom packages for 50,000+ contacts. Learn more about ActiveCampaign pricing.
ActiveCampaign is rated 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 10,000+ verified customer reviews on G2.
👉 Test drive ActiveCampaign in TestBox and compare it with HubSpot and other leading marketing automation products. No demos, no pitch decks. Evaluate software on your terms.
Marketo— formally Adobe Marketo Engage—is a robust marketing automation platform. Hubspot vs. Marketo is a common debate for marketing ops professionals—where the latter really shines is their use of AI and machine learning. This affords users advanced capabilities that are invaluable for ABM campaigns, like being able to customize campaigns for target accounts based on real-time behavior.
- Multi-channel automation: Automate content and nurture streams across multiple channels by persona and buying stage to create personalized experiences at an individual or account level
- Dynamic data: Build AI-enabled customer profiles and predictive target accounts based on real-time behavior.
- Custom lead scoring: Qualify leads and accounts with custom weighted scoring models based on different actions (or inactions).
- Next-level email personalization: Update email content based on real-time behaviors within different audience segments.
- Predictive content: Leverage machine learning and predictive analysis to auto-recommend relevant content to users.
Marketo offers three main pricing tiers:
- Spark: $895 per month
- Standard: $1,795 per month
- Select: $3,175 per month
Marketo is rated 4.1 out of 5 stars based on 2,200+ verified customer reviews on G2
SharpSpring by Constant Contact is an integrated, cloud-based marketing automation platform and CRM. Designed as a one-stop-shop for marketing and sales teams, it offers a wide range of features across email marketing, social media and campaign management, ad retargeting, a landing page designer, and more. Although primarily geared towards SMB and agencies, SharpSpring also has custom plans available for enterprise customers.
- Email designer: Create email templates using a drag-and-drop visual designer, or choose from a library of pre-built layouts. You can also use a file system to easily organize your emails and templates in one place.
- Dynamic email personalization: Automate email personalization with smart tags and customized messages, including confirmations, event alerts, and shopping cart abandonment notices.
- Post-click email tracking: Collect data on post-click visitor activity originating from email campaigns, including form fills, webinar sign ups, and whitepaper downloads.
- Facebook Ads
With annual billing, SharpSpring’s plans cost:
- $399 per month for 1,000 contacts
- $499 per month for 2,500 contacts
- $699 per month for 5,000 contacts
- $899 per month for 10,000 contacts
- $1,299 per month for 20,000 contacts
SharpSpring is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 700+ verified customer reviews on G2.
Mailchimp—officially Intuit Mailchimp—may have originated as an email marketing service provider, but it has since evolved into a full-blown marketing automation platform with more than 11 million active customers and 4 billion users. Built for small and growing businesses, Mailchimp was acquired by Intuit in 2021, enhancing their core email marketing tool with advanced AI capabilities that may normally be out of reach for smaller teams on other platforms.
- CRM: Filter audience data with tags, as well as custom or pre-built segments—including locations, recent sources of growth, and customer lifetime value (CLV).
- Audience analytics dashboard: Access extensive audience data and launch new campaigns from one central dashboard. eCcommerce brands can also sync Mailchimp to their Shopify store to pull in purchase data and view CLV and likelihood to make another purchase.
- Predictive demographics: Mailchimp’s email personalization options include predicted age and gender of recipients.
- Automated emails: Trigger emails based on customer interaction, purchase paths, even their birthday or anniversary.
Mailchimp offers over 250 integrations, including:
When billed annually, pricing starts at $59 per month for 1,000 contacts and goes up to $1,300 per month for over 250,000 contacts.
Mailchimp is rated 4.3 out of 5 based on 12,000+ verified customer reviews on G2.
👉 Test drive Mailchimp in TestBox and compare it with HubSpot and other leading marketing automation products. No demos, no pitch decks. Evaluate software on your terms.
Back to you
There are so many excellent marketing automation platforms options out there— but it can be tough to determine the right fit for your team, without seeing them in action. TestBox lets you test marketing automation software like HubSpot Marketing Hub, Marketo, ActiveCampaign, SharpSpring, and Mailchimp all in one place, for free. You can also access pricing and compliance information, making side-by-side comparisons a breeze—without the endless demo calls. Start testing software in minutes!